Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Rachel Walters - Makeup Artist

Hello!! After a relaxing two weeks of rejuvenation in Thailand (photos coming soon), I am so excited to share with you my interview with the stunning, charismatic, and extremely talented Rachel Walters. Rach has been a good friend of mine for years, and it's been an absolute pleasure watching her grow and transform as a uniquely talented artist. :)

Tell me about your background in makeup

I've always had a great love of colour, texture, and playing with different mediums.
Before delving into makeup artistry, I was originally more inclined to play with various types of materials, creating 3D images and painting on canvas.
I would then mix in metals, acrylics, glass, and incorporate recycled materials that I collected over the years through my travels.

When I was 17, I was moved to New York on a modelling assignment.
It was only then, after being around photographers, stylists, and makeup artists on a daily basis that I was opened up to a new world of creativity. I saw that I could take my love for art to another level, and that the human face would be the most exciting and ever-changing medium I'd ever use. 

Once coming back to Australia, I put myself through an extensive diploma in Makeup & Spfx. I fell even more in love with the raw human face, and the ability to create something so magnificent from these bare living canvases.

I began working for various cosmetic companies, before being picked up by prestigious Parisian company LancĂ´me as their Senior Makeup Artist. I eventually worked my way up to State Makeup Artist, whilst still staying true to my individual style, travelling, and continuing with my own business, whether it be working on a music video, a fashion shoot, or a wedding.

What is your advice to fashion photographers when it comes to makeup for fashion shoots?

Communicating with and briefing the makeup artist and styling team on what has inspired the shoot is key. It is then that we can get down to the core of the theme, and find the essence of what's going to create the perfect image, combining makeup, lighting and texture. Discussing the lighting elements is a must, as this is probably the most important thing for a makeup artist to know when going into a shoot. Different lighting will determine how (and what kind of) makeup will be put on the model.

What are your favourite styles of makeup for fashion shoots and who inspires you?

I love being given lease to really transform a face, and enjoy taking this into a realm of ‘fantasy'. I think Pat McGrath always succeeds in this. She does the most incredible job with Dior Couture. She creates something so beautiful, bold, out of the norm, and sexy all in one. The late Kevyn Aucoin, would have to be my earliest influence.
To describe him as an incredible artist is an understatement, he is the master of transformation. His tricks and techniques are timeless, and can be adapted to any style.
I am also strongly inspired by the female form, beauty, colour, and fluidity.

Who is your favourite fashion photographer?

Annie Leibovitz is absolutely incredible. She has the ability to turn a photograph into a painting. Her images are an absolute masterpiece, and she really captures the movement and grace in her subjects so effortlessly.

Brian Bowen Smith is another favourite. It’s admirable the way he intertwines high fashion with fine art. He encapsulates the dance between light and shadow, producing such beautiful clean lines. His quirky methods for getting the perfect shot for those Marc Jacob campaigns are a force to be reckoned with. A truly unique photographer, his eye finds beauty in even the smallest of details.



The beautiful Rachel behind the scenes for CHICKS ON SPEEDS 'Utopia' video shoot 

DIY Bodyart

Photographer- Melissa Cowan
Makeup/Styling/ Hair-Rachel Walters
Model- Emilie Davis
Costume designer- Buttons

Photographer- Sabrina Haley
Makeup/ Hair/ Styling- Rachel Walters
Model- Zena Lythg
o

Photographer- Melissa Cowan
Makeup/Styling- Rachel Walters
Model- Emilie Davis

Rachel & Photographer Brian Bowen Smith

Rach and I have plans to work together soon on upcoming fashion shoots. I can't wait to share our creativity with you all!
Peace & Love
K




1 comment:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work gippsland makeup artist

    ReplyDelete