Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Carlos Mangubat - Stylist

Happy Wednesday everyone :) Today I'm excited to bring you an interview with the extremely dapper Carlos Mangubat. Stylist extraordinaire, this gentleman knows his fashion! Read below for some great insight and fabulous photos. :)  

Tell me about your background as a stylist and how you got into the industry?
I have a fashion degree from RMIT and in the beginning I wanted to be a trend forecaster, but after volunteering at fashion week I decided I loved the idea of styling much more, and in 2009 I decided to pursue this as a career.  

What fashion photographers have you worked with, and in the future what fashion photographers would you love to work with?
I have worked with some great photographers in the last few years. Emily Abay, Ed Purnomo, Nicole Corbett, James Pipino, Bernard Gueit, Ziga Mihelcic, Tintin Hedberg, Daniel Archer, Ben Clement, Sam Bisso, Christian Blanchard and Fiona Storey just to name a few. I would love to work with photographers Steven Chee, Georges Antoni, Chris Colls, and pretty much everyone at the Artist Group Agency. 

What are your favourite brands to work with?
Some of my clients and favourite brands are Jack London, Alannah Hill, Bell & Barnett, Dom Bagnato, Dangerfield, and FME Apparel 

What do you look for when sourcing outfits?
The clients brief really determines what I source. However, I do like to support independent and up and coming labels, as well as student work. 

How would you describe your own personal style?
My personal style changes, but mostly I'm preppy. I try to mix it around with my casual wear, but the majority of the time I wear preppy attire. 

Tell me about something funny that has happened on a shoot?
One time I accidentally clipped a model's skin to a garment and she was too polite to tell me.. Oopsy

What inspires you?
Of course I look towards high end fashion, but everyday people and street style is more inspiring, especially students. When you have less access to trend oriented clothing, you have to create something yourself, and that's what I find is on the street. Personal style reflecting current trends, as well as people starting their own trends. 

What advice would you give 'up and coming' stylists?
I would suggest to start off assisting. Build contacts and networks, and shoot as much as you can to build your book, with as many different people as you can.
Once you have found your style, work on the craft to refine it and make a name for yourself. 

What are some tips when styling models?
Go with your gut instincts, if you think a garment won't fit, it probably won’t! Also, commit to your style decisions. A good model can work with any outfit

What are your future career aspirations?
I would love to eventually be an editor of a men's publication, or perhaps even start my own! 

Photographer - Emily Abay
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat

Photographer - Sam Bisso
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat
Hair - Carl Reeves
Grooming - Victoria Martin
Style Assistant - Lucy Cooke
Model - Paul Tockuss

Photographer - Karla Majnaric
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat
MUP - Shella Martin
Model - Camille

Photographer - Ziga Mihelcic 
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat
Hair & MUP - Monica Gingold
Style Assistant - Chloe Naughton & Ross McCallum
Photo Assistant - Wanda Chin   

Photographer - Richard Ibrahim
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat

Photographer - Karla Majnaric
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat
MUP - Caroline Massola
Hair - Caterina di Biase
Model - Nikita

Photographer - Nicole Corbett
Stylist - Carlos Mangubat
MUP - Sue Marshall
Model - Chelsea Scanlan
Photo Assistant - Katerina Anna
Style Assistant - Bri Hill


Peace & Love
K

No comments:

Post a Comment