Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Kim Bailey - East Of Grey

Happy Thursday Everyone! I am very proud to bring you my interview with Kim Bailey owner and creator of fashion label 'East of Grey'. Not only is Kim a fantastic and truly unique designer, she is also a brilliant stylist, (I know first hand, as we have worked on many shoots together) and an excellent sewing teacher! Check out her interview below, along with some awesome photos and a really cool video to keep your entertained :) 
Check out more of her collections on Facebook www.facebook.com/eastofgrey

Tell me about your brand, and how it got started. 
East of grey officially started in 2007, but you might say I've been building it since I was a little girl sewing clothes for my barbies. I completed TAFE after high school and started collecting fabrics from Vintage and second hand stores. The uniqueness of each piece really spoke to me, louder than the fabrics at any commercial store, and that’s how it began. East of grey became a brand that made one-of-a-kind garments for that girl who wants something that no one else has. Handmade by the designer, every detail has a purpose, each garment made for one girl, it's just a matter of finding that girl!
She is eclectic, a mover, can blend in or stand out, it really depends how she feels on that particular day. A girl who knows what she wants when she finds it, but until she finds it, can't stop looking. Below are the different East of Grey ranges I have...
East of grey originals: Handmade one of a kind designer pieces
CIRCA collection: Upstyled vintage and second hand pieces
Vintage: Retro and vintage pieces sourced from around the globe
East of grey Homewares:  Handmade one of a kind cushions and blankets.

What inspires and motivates you?
Nature keeps me sane, it ignites my senses and sets off all sorts of ideas in my brain. I'm always exploring. I like to sit and look, and find the most amazing colours and textures in nature. Animals and flowers inspire me to put the best colours together.

How would you describe your own personal style?
I don't really have a 'style' but I like to dress according to my mood, sometimes I dress rather quirky, sometimes I dress grunge, but I always dress how I feel. I think fashion portrays a person day to day. I enjoy stepping away from trends and just wearing what suits my body and personality.

Who are your favourite designers?
Alexander McQueen and Karl Lagerfeld

What fashion photographers have you worked with?
You, hehe. Katriena Emmanuel. John Pryke. Shane Baker. Michael Hills. Deb from Boots Photography, and Amelia Jane, just to name a few. 

What is your career highlight so far?
Dressing Stonefield, the all-girl band from country Victoria. That's the most recent, but to be honest, earning a living from what was once my hobby is the biggest highlight of all.

What are some tips for fellow designers?
Never give up, chase the dream, anything is possible, be flexible, and enjoy the ride.

Who is your fashion icon?
I don't have a particular icon but I love people who dress how they feel, regardless of labels or trends. If I had to choose, I love Gwen Stefani because she just dresses exactly how she wants.

What are your future career aspirations?
I'm studying my Bachelor of Technology Education so I can further my reach into teaching about sustainability in schools. Also, continuing my expansion of East of Grey.
     




East of Grey at the Sanctuary Cove boat show
East of Grey at the Raw Revolution showcase
Collection:  Pirates Vs Nijas
Photographer: Shane Baker
Hair and makeup:  Zoe Tranter

The fantastic Ms Bailey herself!

Hard at work ;)

Peace & Love
K

1 comment: