Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Aimee Stoddart - Photographer

Tell me about your background as a photographer and how you got into the industry?
I was in Malaysia around five years ago with my boyfriend when he bought me my first DSLR. He knew how much I loved taking photos and I guess he saw my potential? A lot of my friends are babes/makeup artists so I would take photos of them for fun, and never really thought anything of it until people started contacting me to work with them, and I haven't really looked back. 
How would you describe your style of photography?
Style... eeep! I don't really think I have a style. I have 1000 different personalities and my likes are forever changing so my work is forever changing. I like it, I don't get bored. The one thing that has never changed is my love for gritty black and whites. 
Have you ever worked with any well known models or shot for any well known brands? 
I guess so! I've been pretty blessed to meet and collaborate with the people I have. Saying that, they're only really known in the industry, if I ever name dropped most people would draw a blank.  
I always see models I know in ads on TV or in the front of the shop window, but I'm not sure if anyone actually knows who they are. 
TV well known - Andreas Brunnhage who's really well known in Europe, Sarah Tilleke and Britt Blanchard from The Face,  Kiyomi Vella from The Voice, and Isabelle Faith, Zhoe Trotter & April Harvey from Top Model.
I don't really shoot lookbooks although I worked with Princess Polly quite a lot when I lived in Brisbane, and also some super amazing designers have been included in my editorials.
What advice would you give photographers trying to get into the industry?
Work hard, network like crazy, and don't give up. I'm not going to lie, it's hard! Most days you just want to give up, but it is totally worth it. 
Instagram and Facebook are great to promote yourself, you are after all your brand. 
What are some tips for models when they are in front of the camera?
You have to love it, if you're not loving what you're doing it does show. Have fun with it, show your personality, read the brief and look at the moodboard! Get to know your body and face so you know what works for you. 
Tell me about a funny story on a shoot.
Hahaha I'm in hysterics trying to choose one. I was shooting and not paying attention to my surroundings. I decided to sit down to get the right shot and sat on a plate of cupcakes, I was wearing white too! Or that time we were at a farm and a goat chased myself and the two models around and ended up ramming one of the models (Lauren Moody)..ok I guess that's not so funny but it was after we realised she was ok. 
What are your future career aspirations?
I'd love to be able to travel more and get my travel work published in some really cool magazines. I'd love my fashion editorials to be in Oyster & Yen. Oh and I'd actually really like to start a vlog (kind of photography career related). 
Thanks so much for asking to interview me n__n

Model - Shelby Bourke 
Makeup - Bec Fiedler 
Stylist - Tamzen Holland

Model - Sarah Tilleke (Viviens)
Makeup - Jess Chapman
Stylist - Olivia Frankowski

Model - Sarah Tilleke (Viviens)
Makeup - Jess Chapman
Stylist - Olivia Frankowski

Model - Merille Raagas (Priscillas)
Makeup - Bec Fiedler
Stylist - Olivia Frankowski

 Model - Rob (The London)
 Stylist - Blake Sutherland

 Love this photo of Aimee in Japan!

 The beautiful lady herself

Aimee with her crew from left to right - Andreas Brunnhage, Aimee, Briana Wall & Maree Spagnol

Peace & Love
K

No comments:

Post a Comment